Enjoy the extra flavor and health benefits from combining cauliflower with turmeric for this easy-to-prepare, great-tasting side dish that will complement almost any meal. Turmeric has long been recognized as a powerful anti-inflammatory in both Chinese and Indian systems of medicine, and modern scientific research continues to reinforce the benefits of this tasty spice. One serving of this dish also provides 181% of the daily value (DV) for vitamin C, 46% DV for vitamin K, and 33% DV for folate. Enjoy!
Prep and Cook Time: 5 minutesIngredients:
- 1 lb cauliflower
- 5 TBS low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Mediterranean Dressing
- 3 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBS chopped cashews
- 2 TBS Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 2 TBS chopped cilantro
- 1 TBS mango chutney
- 1 TBS chopped cilantro
- Cut cauliflower florets into quarters and let sit for 5 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- Press or chop garlic and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat 5 TBS broth in a stainless steel skillet on medium heat.
- When broth begins to steam, add cauliflower and turmeric and cover. For al dente cauliflower, cook for no more than 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. For more flavor, toss cauliflower with the remaining ingredients while it is still hot. (Mediterranean Dressing does not need to be made separately.)
A group of friends have a habit of labelling a Lasagne a ‘garfield’ if it is eaten with relish and there is none left. I prepared this lasagne during the week for 2 different groups and both finished it with clean pots. So it is definitely a ‘Garfield’ to be enjoyed.
You will need;
- 1 Cauliflower (finely chooped or blended)
- 4 Medium Zuchinin(finely grated)
- 4 Medium onions
- 4 Medium Carrots (finely grated or shaved)
- 1 Kg Mince
- 12 sheets lasagne
- 2 t/spoons mixed herb
- s1 t/spoon Garlic powder1
- 800 Ml Can condensed soup1
- 800Ml Can Kidney beans
- 100 Ml tub Pizza sauce
- 30 Ml vegetable stock.
- Small amounts of Parmesan, Mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.
and 2 large baking trays.
Slice the onion and allow to sit for several minutes. Fry the onion lightly in the stock. Once the onion has gone soft, add the mixed herbs and garlic. Then add the mince and brown it off. Once the meat is cooked through add the pizza sauce and the tomato soup. Bring back to a light simmer.Add the cauliflower, zuchini, and carrott and simmer until the carrot has softened.Once the carrot has softened add the kidney beans. Add enough water or stock to ensure the sauce is liquid. Return to simmer and then turn off and allow it to sit covered for 30minutes.
Lightly oil the baking trays and add enough sauce to cove the bottoms. Add lasagne sheets and cover with sauce. Add new sheet and add a sprinkling of mozzarella and Parmesan style cheeses.Continue adding sheets and sauce until the trays are filled. Cover with a light sprinkling of cheese.
Place in an oven at 200 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Serve and eat.
This recipes feed 20 children after 2 hours of Basketball. Feel free to adjust to suit your number of hungry mouths. Lasagne like this will quite happily freeze for up to several weeks if you want to put some aside for later.
I have served this lasagne including grated beetroot and sweet potato. I started doing this when feeding kids who would chorus “I don’t like vegetables.” Never start the meal telling them that it is over 50% vegetables, but nowadays I always turn it into a game to see if the kids can tell me which vegetables are in it.
Happy eating. Add a garden or greek salad as a side dish and this can be considered a very healthy meal.